Most car owners want to be mindful of how to get the most out of their gas mileage. Luckily, there are some techniques you can do to help use every last drop of the fuel you pour into your tank.
1) Plan your trips and errands wisely. Many short trips taken from a cold start can use twice as much fuel as longer drives with a warm engine.
2) Check tire pressure at least once a month. When tires are under-inflated, they burn more fuel. When tires are eight pounds underinflated, rolling resistance of escalates by 5%.
3) Gravel and dirt can utilize up to 30% of your fuel mileage. Avoid rough roads when you can.
4) Make sure that your car doesn’t idle for more than a minute. Engines nowadays will use less gas turning off and re-starting than idling for long periods of time. In addition, to effectively warm an engine, it’s better to drive it than to rev it up.
5) Be sure to have your engine checked regularly.
6) The oxygen sensor in the exhaust system should be changed based on the manufacturer’s recommendations.
7) Drive smoothly. By avoiding heavy braking, you can lessen both wear and tear and gas consumption.
8) Check chassis and suspension parts for misalignment. Worn shocks and axles, bent wheels, and broken springs can contribute to drivetrain drag. This consumes gas and jeopardizes your safety.
9) Use your cruise control when it’s appropriate. You could end up saving yourself up to 6% in fuel consumption on the highway.
10) If battery cables are corroded, more gas will be consumed because the alternator is working harder.
11) Think about how much “stuff” you really need in your vehicle. Lightening your load is something to consider. An extra 100 pounds in the trunk reduces a typical car’s fuel economy by 1 to 2 percent. Carrying excess weight wastes gas.
The team at Tom’s Bulldog Automotive wants you to get the most out of your gas mileage. If you need any more suggestions or have any inquiries about auto repair, Contact us to schedule an appointment. We are located at 63075 Highway 101, Coos Bay, OR 97420.
Shops in Our Network
Our shop uses web technologies by AutoVitals in conjunction with ALLDATA.
We are able to personalize your service interval based on how you drive and post authorized reviews from our customers for your benefit. Please explore below a growing selection of auto repair and collision shops, which follow our lead.